Europe Travel News

EU to Allocate €5.4 Million in Support of 801 Dismissed Air Transport & Warehousing Workers in Italy’s Sardinia

The European Commission has proposed supporting 801 laid-off workers in Sardinia, Italy, who have lost their jobs due to restructuring and globalization by allocating 5.4 million euros.

This group of 801 includes 611 former Air Italy workers and 190 former Porto Canale workers in Cagliari, reports.

In a press release issued by the Commission today, October 28, it was clarified that the proposed amount of €5.4 million from the European Globalization Adjustment Fund for Displaced Workers (EGF) will support these workers in finding new jobs by pursuing education, training, or even starting their own businesses. own.

Sardinia has a small job market due to its isolation and location far from the mainland. The Commission has proposed €5.4 million in financial support from the European Globalization Fund to give laid-off workers additional active labor market measures they need to relaunch their careers,” said Commissioner for Jobs and Social Rights Nicholas Schmidt.

Through the same press release, it was indicated that the separations in Porto Canal are closely linked to the end of operations in the port of Cagliari, after the transfer of cargo operations to areas that provide overland links with the rest of the country and Europe.

With regard to the dismissals of Air Italy, the commission explained that they occurred as a result of many unforeseen problems, mainly related to the COVID-19 disease. Air Italy was unable to continue its business as planned, which resulted in the company halting its operations in February 2020.

Thus, taking into account the current situation of laid-off workers, the Commission clarified that the aid of €5.4 million will help the Sardinian authorities to finance measures including individual support for the search for work and vocational guidance. Furthermore, the training provided will help them improve their digital skills and thus contribute to the digital transformation of the goods movements and logistics sectors.

Apart from the above measures, it was noted that the participants can get allowances for participating in the support measures. The total estimated cost of the support measures is 6.3 million euros, of which 85 percent will be covered by the European Globalization Adjustment Fund, while the Sardinia region will cover the remaining 15 percent.

Due to the effects that the COVID-19 pandemic has had on Sardinia’s labor market, more than 6,000 jobs were lost in 2020, mainly in leisure and entertainment services, tourism and shipping freight.

Previously, the European Union Commission presented a framework aimed at further integrating Erasmus+ and European Solidarity Crops for the next six years.

Schengen Visa

Schengen Countries

Schengen Agreement

Schengen News


Schengen Visa

Schengen Visa Europe Visa Information

Related Articles

Back to top button
Enable Notifications    OK No