Europe Travel News

EU Airports Among Most Polluting Entities, Report Shows

The International Council on Clean Transport (ICCT) has pointed the finger at European Union airports, China and the United States for carbon emissions for commercial flights, with a 2020 report revealing that these three countries produce more than half of carbon dioxide (CO2). ) emissions related to passenger transportation operations in 2019, reports.

Although the EU does the least damage of the three, it is still a concern. On the other hand, with more than 175 million metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions, the United States produced the highest emissions related to air passenger travel so far in 2019, followed by China which recorded 90 million metric tons, and this is expected to surpass the European Union and the United States By 2050, as ICCT’s senior aerospace researcher, Brandon Graver has revealed.

Earlier this year, both Airports Council International and the International Air Transport Association pledged to commit to reaching net carbon emissions by 2050.

“Making a goal is one thing. Making progress and making sure you are transparent with civil society about your progress is another. Everyone sets goals and promises, and then turns on,” notes Senior Research Garver, expressing distrust of governments’ commitment to reducing carbon emissions in the following years. .

The ICCT analysis does not include emissions from freight commercial flights, which account for about 15 percent of total pollution. The other 85 percent of emissions from commercial operations come from passenger transport.

According to Garver, the 10 most emitting airports in 2019 produced the same amount as a 32 coal-fired power plant, the equivalent of 63 million passenger cars. These are mostly hubs that count the large number of flights they move through. Airplane type, flight length, and other factors show that smaller airports produce more carbon emissions per passenger per kilometer passed.

Graver also noted that although airports claim to be carbon neutral, these claims often don’t speak of actual passenger transportation but are based on other factors such as energy use within the terminal.

This report comes on the heels of last week’s Glasgow Climate Summit, during which world leaders agreed to make tourism more climate-friendly.

The leaders agreed on “our commitment to submit plans aligned with these pathways to halve tourism emissions over the next decade and reach net zero emissions as soon as possible before 2050.”

The situation is worrying as carbon dioxide emissions from tourism increased by 60 percent from 2005 to 2016. In contrast, transportation-related carbon dioxide accounts for five percent of global emissions from the total data accumulated for 2016.

Schengen Visa

Schengen Countries

Schengen Agreement

Schengen News


Schengen Visa

Schengen Visa Europe Visa Information

Related Articles

Back to top button
Enable Notifications    OK No